Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oh Be Careful Little Eyes What You Read (and linkup)

I remember reading a book in college about Biblical womanhood.  Although the doctrine was sound, and the advice was good, I felt so inadequate after reading it.

The book left me feeling like there was no way I'd ever measure up or be the perfect wife and mother one day. It made me feel as though I might as well give up on the thought of Biblical womanhood, because there was no way that I'd ever get there.

The author of that book dangled a tantalizing vision of a perfect woman.  She was a woman who was always submissive, never lost her temper, always wise, and certainly never foolish.  I wish I would have known then what I know now, it certainly would have saved some discouragement.

In reality the perfect woman doesn't exist in any shape or form.  Yes God will grant grace, yes God will give strength but we can't expect to live up to an ideal that doesn't exist.

Here's some more food for thought, there are a lot of great Christian homemaking blogs out there.  Unfortunately I've come across more than a few where the author believed that our salvation is influenced by our works.  There was one blog in particular that I really enjoyed, but I just had a feeling that her faith was a works based one.  I e-mailed her asking what her specific religion was, and sure enough it was  a works based perversion of Christianity.

So why am I mentioning this?  If an author or a blogger believes that their salvation depends on the type of home they maintain, they are teaching a false gospel.  Our salvation is based on Christ's sacrifice and faith alone, maintaining a perfect home, attending church, wearing certain clothes, having a certain hairstyle, and the like, simply isn't part of it.

Be careful what you read.  Well meaning writers are still human, and they might not always share what's scriptural.  Be in the Word of God.  Know His scriptures.  There are many encouraging women on the internet sharing their womanhood journey, but we mustn't neglect our first place of learning and encouragement, the Word of God.

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."
Romans 4:5

Now for the weekly link up.  Anything encouraging (homemaking tips, recipes, giveaways, etc. are definitely encouraging) Note because of spammers this link up is requiring a link back on your home mpage or blog post.  An easy way to do this is to simply put my button somewhere on your page.