Monday, September 17, 2012

A Delicious, 70 Calorie, 4 Grams of Sugar, Gluten Free, Pumpkin Pie!!

There is something about the fall weather, produce stands, and the blast of cinnamon smell when you walk in any store this time of year.  It unleashes my baking monster, left unchecked it would surely de-rail all of the baby weight I've lost and have yet to lose.

But there is something about a pumpkin pie this time of year that just says fall to me.  A Normal slice of pumpkin pie however has 316 calories, not exactly diet friendly.

This recipe I'm about to give you has, no added fat, only 4 1/2 grams of sugar and only 70 calories per slice! Better yet it actually tastes good.  Oh and did I mention as an added bonus it's gluten free and super easy to make?

I've been making unhealthy version of this pie recipe for a few years now, and it's still just as good even with the healthy tweaks I'm about to share.  Rather than oil it uses apple sauce, and rather than sugar it uses agave nectar.  I recently discovered agave, it has a lower glycemic index and it doesn't have the funny after taste artificial sugars have.

If you don't have buckwheat on hand you can use a different gluten free mix or traditional flour, but I love the texture the buckwheat gives the faux crust of this recipe.

The following recipe makes three pies, freeze some for the holidays so you won't be tempted with more sinful desserts.

Without furthur ado here it is:












Too Good To Be True Pumpkin Pie
Heat oven to 350 degrees
  • 3 Disposable pie tins (NOT the graham cracker crust kind)
  • 2 Cans of Pumpkin
  • 3 Cups of Skim Milk 
  • 4 Tbs of Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 4 Tbs of Vanilla
  • 4 Eggs
  • 3/4 Cups of Agave Nectar 
  • 1 cup of buckwheat
  • 4 Tbs corn starch
  • 4 Tsp baking powder 
  • 1 Packet of Gelatin (Omit if you are using a traditional flour) 
  • 1 Tsp salt
  • 2 Tsp of Cinnamon 
  • 2 Tsps of Ginger 
  • 1 Tsp of Nutmeg
Combine all the ingredients and mix well, either in a food processor or with an electric mixer.  (Buckwheat will make me sneeze so I am very careful to incorporate it fully with the wet ingredients before stirring too vigorously)

After combining the ingredients spoon the pie filling in the 3 disposable pie tins.  Cook for 50-60 minutes.  The top of the pie will no longer be wet.  This pie has a faux crust when it bakes, the top of it will crack.

And that's it! Allow the pie to coll completely in the refrigerator and then cut each pie into 8 slices and enjoy.

 Not only is it an easy recipe but it's healthy too.  Your calorie and sugar count may be different than mine depending on how dark your agave nectar is or what type of milk you use.  If you are on a very strict diet, where calories and grams of sugar really matter, it is up to you to figure out your own calorie and sugar counts.

I hope you enjoy.

Now for the Link Up, unfortunately I'm being spammed again.  I'm not going to lie, when someone says I should commit suicide it's a little bit discouraging.  Because I don't want to go through that type of discouragement again this weeks party is moderated, and I'm also requiring a link back here.  All you need to do is have a link to http://www.lessonsfromivy.com somewhere on your blog home page or post.  I'm normally not fussy, but some people have decided to pop my proverbial party balloons.  But let's not let them ruin if for the rest of us : ) So anything encouraging ladies, I can't wait to read.





Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.
And to see the lovely places where I link click here.