Sunday, August 12, 2012

Not My Sunday Best

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;  And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.  For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
2 Peter 1:5-9

Public domain drawing of a skeleton key.

Please tell me I am not the only person on Sunday's to have less than a lovely attitude.  Here I am getting ready for church this morning and my sin nature begins to show it's ugly head. 

Patience? No way!  Kindness? Not even close!

Doing my makeup and putting on my Sunday clothes, and yet my attitude is anything but my Sunday best.  Why in the world is that?

I know I'm not alone.  I know some of the "best" family fights happen on Sunday mornings.  "Where are your shoes?! I told you to leave them by the door!"  or "Get the kids in the car we're going to be late, we need to stop by the bank and we're already running behind!"

It's easy to get swept away in the Sunday shuffle, but isn't it ironic that when we're supposed to be turning our minds to God in worship, it's like we've completely forgotten why we worship Him in the first place.

Know that this is not coming from a place of condemnation but:

We need to stop it!

We need to stop being so wrapped up in our desire to appear perfect and pulled together that we forget who we're serving.

We need to stop worrying about getting to church on time, and remember why we're going to church.

We need to stop acting like going to church some how makes us better and more "arrived" as a Christian and start doing the things that actually reflect Christ.  Like being kind, giving grace, and behaving like Jesus would instead of a yeti who woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

We need to remember going to church isn't the key, following after Christ is.


Comments

Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.
And to see the lovely places where I link click here.