Thursday, May 24, 2012

Should Christians Wear Bathing Suits at All?

Posts In This Series
Modesty is Important
Is N*dity In Classic Art Okay (And Link Up)
Should Christians Wear Bathing Suits at All?
Immodest Women are Mean
Dressing Modestly Is.......(If you only read one post read this one)



In this series, we've looked at why modesty is important, and the sacredness of n*dity. Rather than jump right to what Christians should wear on a daily basis let's start out with the skimpiest thing most people will wear out in public.............

The Bathing Suit!!

Growing up my grandparents had a swimming pool so my family was always swimming.  I don't think any of us ever gave our bathing suits a second thought when we were just around family.  So believe me what I'm writing today does not come from a place of judgement.  I'm not here to tell you what to wear, I am by no means an authority on the issue.


File:Old Time Swimming Photograph.jpg
(Public Domain)

Believe it or not, the above picture would have been considered scandalous by some at the time.  Men and women swimming together?!

Tomorrow I'll be sharing a massive list of scriptures on modesty, but for now I'd like to simply pose a few questions for you to chew on when it comes to your swim-wear.

  • Would my father be comfortable seeing me in this.  If the answer is no, your suit might be immodest.
  • Is this something I would wear to the mall?  Think about it, what difference is there from what you wear on the beach to anywhere else in society?  Would you show that much thigh, cleavage, or back if you were going to the mall rather than the pool?
  • Am I wearing less because it helps me swim easier, or am I wearing less to get attention?
  • Is there a more private place to sunbathe?  If your main goal is tanning then a bikini might be your best  bet for an even tan but, that doesn't mean you need to tan in public.  (Coming from someone who has a family history of skin Cancer I'd much rather buy Jergen's Natural Glow anyway.)
  • Will this cause any man to stumble?  If the answer is yes, then don't wear it!  I am amazed at how many women look at this issue as "not my problem."  An attitude that says "I can wear whatever I want, you shouldn't be looking" is anything but kind.

So what do I wear at the beach?  A Simply Modest swimsuit, that I made myself from their pattern.  ( I removed my picture because I'm tired of feeling like I'm back in middle school again.  Oh and by the way, I wouldn't trade weighing 10 extra pounds for my three children, EVER!!!)

Quite frankly I love it, and I feel comfortable in it because there is no fear of being immodest.  There's no nagging guilt in my mind or need to cover up quickly when I get out of the water.  I'm free to have fun and free to enjoy myself.

So what do you think?  Forget bikinis, should Christians wear even a traditional swimsuit, or should they opt to cover up a little more?  I've shown you what I'm comfortable with, what about you?


Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.
And to see the lovely places where I link click here.  

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen that video that asks this question? The speaker shows that scientifically, men's brains change when they see women dressed like that. I don't know the technical terms, but a different part of their brain turns on-- the part that views things as object, rather than a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely not one who is comfortable wearing a revealing two piece and never have been, even when I was scrawny. I am teaching my girls the same. I believe only ones husband should see one that revealed.

    ReplyDelete