Monday, May 21, 2012

Is N*dity In Classic Art Okay (And Link Up)


Posts In This Series
Immodest Women are Mean
Dressing Modestly Is....... (If you only read one post read this one)



"And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were n*ked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." Genesis 3:7

Yesterday I introduced the topic of modesty.  Before we start discussing bathing suits , skirt lengths, necklines and all that good stuff let's undress the issue fully ; )

 Is n*dity ever okay? (On a side note This post will be seasoned with asterix's otherwise my parental controls won't let me access my own blog. I promise there is nothing salacious.)

 Is n*dity okay on the ceilings of renaissance cathedrals? Is it okay in the great sculptures of Michelangelo? Is it okay on ancient Greek pottery? Is it okay in an artist's sketch book?

It's interesting to note that traditionally heathen cultures had a lot of n*dity and depictions of "relations" in their artwork.  But time after time, whenever Christianity would reach a new group of people that type of artwork would begin to disappear from the culture.

Christianity would introduce the sacredness of n*dity and the marriage act to the groups of people they evangelized.  It no longer was something found on common dinner ware for the world to see.

So why is it that sometimes we have blinders on when it comes to modesty?  Does it really matter who painted the canvas if it's showing something that should be private?

Does it truly matter, the wonderful use of color and perspective?  Just because something is labeled as art doesn't mean it's appropriate.

There is a reason why Adam and Eve were ashamed of their bodies when sin entered the world. There is a reason why God gave Adam and Eve clothing.

Yes I realize God created a beautiful thing in the human physique, and I realize it has been celebrated throughout history in art, but  a sin filled world has temptation and shame.  What was very good is now not only tainted but is also able to make others stumble.

I don't mean this post to be legalistic, but I do want to challenge the belief that n*dity is okay when it's classic art.  I realize not everyone will agree with me, and I would love to hear what you think.  (Keep the discussion nice)

Be sure to leave a comment and link up some of your own posts below.  And be sure to come back to read the rest of this series. (Subscribe)

I've disabled commenting on these posts.....sigh some people, I've cried too much yesterday and today from personal attacks on my marriage and appearance.   I'm not playing the game any more.  It truly breaks my heart.  If this post has been a blessing to you since you can't comment would you mind sharing it via one of the buttons below?

I had some links get stuck in moderation limbo last week, this week I won't be moderating but I'm still too paranoid for thumbnails.  Here are the posts you might have missed:





And one post that's on topic : ) Making Clothing More Modest

It's time for some encouragement.


So glad you're back.  Link up anything encouraging and be sure to share the post so others can join in the fun. 








Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.
And to see the lovely places where I link click here.  

Photobucket

No comments: