Thursday, March 1, 2012

How to Turn Sap Indoors My Tips

Posts In Series
How To Tap Your Trees (It's easier than you think and it doesn't cost a lot of money)
"Maple Tree Projects" a free eBook of Tree related assignments for home-school or traditional classes.
How To Turn Sap Into Syrup
How To Can Maple Syrup

Can everyone tell I'm really excited to be tapping my trees again.  I wrote a whole e-book in one day I'm so excited : )

Here's the simple directions for boiling your sap once you've collected it:  Boil until bubbly.

If you need a little more to go on visit Tap My Trees for specific instructions.  They suggest starting the boiling process outside, which you can do.  In fact it's ideal.  But last year I boiled gallons and gallons of syrup indoors and here's what I learned.


  • Some people have reported peeling wall paper and mold growing when they boil sap indoors.  I didn't have either of these things happen .(I don't have wallpaper though) Tapping inside worked for me because I only tapped a few trees but be wary.
  • It takes me all day to boil 5 gallons of sap in one large stock pot.
  • It will steam up your house.
  •  Turn on the fans and crack some windows.
  • You need to be very careful that your sap does not boil over, particularly as it's nearing syrup consistency.
  • Boil only a small batch first so you can see what happens in the process towards the end.  I seriously scorched a pan the first time I tried making syrup. 
  • Be very careful not to over boil your syrup.
  • Your house will get a little sticky, but so goes life : ) I've noticed the sticky feeling is the worst when it's steamy, but it doesn't last.
  • Check your sap frequently as you boil.  
  • Set a timer as you near the end of the process so you don't forget you're making syrup.
  • Your syrup will never have the consistency of store bought imitation syrup.  Don't expect it to be thick, it won't.  Even my sugar maples don't produce syrup like you'd find at the stores.
I hope maybe I've inspired a few people to try tapping your trees, it will make Sunday morning breakfasts so much better.  Leave me a comment if you have any questions and let me know if you'll be trying to tap your trees.

Sign Up and For Lessons From Ivy's Free Newsletter 
And Get Maple Tree Projects For Free
If you're already a subscriber just enter in the e-mail you use to get access.
  Your name will not be added to the list twice.