What I am afraid of is the swim suits! Not mine, everyone elses.
At Sunday School this week I was speaking to the teen girls about worldliness and I intentionally brought up the topic of dress. I of course brought up the normal things, about how scripture exhorts us to be modest and how we shouldn't cause a brother to stumble but the thing that illicited the biggest reaction was when I said, "you may be trying to attract the attention of someone your own age, but men of all ages are looking." After a chorus of ewws, I hoped my point stuck. Then we talked about how you can be modest at the beach, inexpensively. Here are some ideas, that won't break your budget:
- Where a long teeshirt and basketball shorts over your suit , not particularly conducive to the water but it's an option most people already own.
- Purchase a swim skirt, I'm not talking about the one's that barely cover your derriere I'm talking about the one's that actually cover most of your upper legs. I found an OP swim skirt, that comes down to my knees at walmart for $12! Coupled with my swimsuit that comes up nearly to my neck, I'm good to go.
- Wear a Board Shirt and Shorts, there's a reason why surfers wear these, many are UV protected and they keep everything covered in a high intensity sport.
- Get creative, Do you own a one piece or a tankini, that's somewhat modest but not quite? See how you can alter it. If you're not up to making an entire swimsuit altering an existing one might be an option. You can literally make a swim skirt with a hem, one seam, and an elastic waist band.
- Make a "swim bolero" out of an old tee-shirt. If your bottoms modest, but the top still needs some extra coverage and you don't want to wear a full tee-shirt make a tee-shirt bolero (do a yahoo search their easy and require NO SEWING)