Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waffle Wednesday

Being gluten free is anything but inexpensive.  I'm sure some of you can relate to the moment you first picked up a loaf of Brown Rice bread and nearly had a heart attack when you saw the price. Or how about those individual frozen entrees, I could feed a family of four for the price it costs to buy one minuscule serving of ready made Mac and Cheese.  Don't even get me started on the ready made pizza crusts.  Needless to say convince foods and gluten free are not words that are often in the same sentence as "great deals", unless of course the word not is in there somewhere.  But there is hope my gluten free (and wheat eating) friends!

Mixes are not super cheap, but gluten free pancake mix is a fairly good buy.  You could also make your own for even less. (I'll add a post later) I started thinking about my waffle iron and all the endless possibilities, not just for breakfast but for pizzas, bruschettas, sandwiches, cheese bread, desserts and a hundred other ideas. And why not, making waffles is fairly fast, fun, and for the gluten free cook, much cheaper than a lot of alternatives.  Over the next few weeks I plan to experiment with my waffle maker and share some ideas. (I would also love any ideas that you might have too.)

Here are some starter ideas on things to add to your breakfast waffles not only to stretch the batter but to shake things up a bit. 

  • Berries, you may need to add slightly more flour if they make the batch a tad watery.
  • Bananas and chopped nuts, my husband is allergic to bananas so I don't make banana bread anymore, but you would swear that's what you're eating when you make this.
  • Dried fruit, raisins, apples, dates (chopped of course) This will make your waffle taste like a fruit cake
  • Substitute some liquid for applesauce
  • Cinnamon, and if your kids don't go crazy like mine do, brown sugar.  My family loves it when I add just a touch of Cinnamon to our waffles.
  • Pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice (or Cinnamon) I love doing this! Top it with a little plain yogurt and it's like thanksgiving any time of the year.
Now for the ideas I haven't tried............

Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss next weeks Waffle Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!