Sunday, October 3, 2010

Singing Together, Why I Love The Messiah


Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Colossians 3:16


Let your songs of praise be loud and joyful this morning. Allow the words that you sing and learn this morning dwell in you richly. Enjoy singing with your fellow believers.
This is something I posted on facebook about my favorite hymn. When my friend asked what everyone's favorite hymn was initially I couldn't choose but then I remembered something that happened in 2006.


The most beautiful/powerful/intense/precious/memorable (pick and adjective) moment of worship I have ever experienced singing was during my first performance of Handel's Messiah. It hit me during the "Worthy is the Lamb" and "Amen" sections. The true meaning of the words that we had been rehearsing for months came alive in my heart. Then something Holy happened, God literally perfected what we were singing. The parts were interwoven perfectly, balanced with the most perfect orchestration. The chorus was truly lifting its voice and glorifying God in a way I had never experienced before. I've never been able to find a recording that captures this same intensity.


The most powerful thing about this music was that these words (taken directly from scripture) have been sung by Christians for thousands of years, and the music that Handel composed that we were singing that night for hundreds in corporal worship. I was joining the timeless body of Christ: those who were, those who are, and those who will be in singing God's precious praises. The most breath-taking aspect of it all was those words are ripped right from the pages of revelation and are the words we'll be singing for all eternity.


On a side note, there was one time when I got out my Messiah score and wanted to relive the moment, but I couldn't, not on my own. As beautiful as the counterpoint is together just the soprano line by itself is incomplete and not melodic. It's somewhat poignant that I cannot sing my favorite hymn of praise by myself, and must be sung with others.


I have many songs and hymns I love but this one truly is my favorite.




Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!