Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Weekend Wedding

2 John 12

"Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full."


 

Driving across state 3 hours for a 2 hour wedding reception and then spending another 3 hours in the car with an infant is, suffice it to say, an adventure.  Why would any 2 sane adults choose to embark on this journey you may ask; the answer is simple, the man who was getting married had made a lasting impact on my husband's life and sending a congratulatory note simply wasn't enough.  My husband wanted to see his friend, hug him, and tell him how truly happy he was for him. 

 
 

At first we weren't going to go to the wedding, the logistics, to me seemed far too complicated.  In addition to that my husband was unable to get the day off of work so going to the ceremony was out of the question, and we would be more than fashionably late to the reception. Coupled with the X factor of a 3 month old, going didn't seem like a good plan.  We are however truly glad we did decide to make the trip.

 
 

I have to admit, in terms of fellowship it's been awhile since I've sincerely told a friend at church I was happy to see them. Sometimes I take people's presence for granted rather than having a heart full of joy to be able to eat, study, and worship with my fellow believers and dearest loved ones. Seeing my husband's joy after merely talking to a friend for a few minutes he hasn't seen in 3 years makes me truly understand the importance of being with our Christian friends in a physical form and not just social networking.


 

The car ride home was somewhat bittersweet. My husband realized how much the friendship he had with this man, even if it was only for a season, had truly meant to him. He immediately started missing someone he hadn't seen in 3 years once we left. I am glad however to have the assurance that no matter how short lived our friendships seem to be on earth, if we both have Christ, we'll be able to spend all eternity worshipping God together, face to face, and then our joy truly will be full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!