Friday, September 17, 2010

Giving Control to God

Proverbs 3:5-7  (Full Chapter)


 "5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
 7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil."

Some people (okay anyone who knows me) might say I have a type A personality.  I have always had a hard time giving control to anyone.  Lately I have definitely had to come to grips with the fact I no longer have control over my life.  My children control most every waking minute of my day, and even some that should be sleeping.  I'm sure my transition to Mommy was no more difficult than it is for every woman on the planet, with this transition (and all the growing pains that go with it) I've realized I have two choices, celebrate the loss of control or become morose and despondent.

In some ways loosing control of my day to day activities is liberating because I'm able to prioritize better than I have at any other point in my life.  Having children has forced me to put my devotional time first during the day, because if I don't it probably won't happen.  Trusting in the Lord has new meaning for me because my "perfect day" where everything is done in its proper order without interruptions will never again exist.  Having faith has become more natural because I can't control things the way I used to and do things the way I want to do them. 

It's of course not always easy to give complete control of my life to God, my children demand my time and energy, God's still small leading is not always as easy to hear as the ear-splitting tantrum from across the house.  (Does anyone know how to fix a plastic Pooh without using duct tape?).  God however is using my children to slow me down and focus on what He desires, instead of what I would rather be doing with my time.  Ultimately God desires that I raise my children in a way that brings honor and glory to him, so every time something doesn't go as planned (like eating leftovers for dinner 3 nights in a row) I can rest assured it's in God's hand and he is directing my path.  Even though I don't know where things are headed, I'm glad I'm not the one making the decisions.

Lord enable us to allow you to control our lives.  Your plans are better and wiser.