Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wants and Needs


"He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant."
Psalm 111:5

Praise God, He gives us not only our needs but sometimes our wants too. We've been battling a cold in our house this week and I am so glad God has chosen, as it seems right now, to heal us quickly. I'm so glad even though God is controlling the fate of the world he took time to give my family a little mercy. We certainly could have suffered through a long drawn out cold, and I'm sure there would have been an important lesson of patience in it for all of us, but instead God is choosing to give us the blessing of quickly improving health which I am very grateful for.

I was also struck by how generous God is when eating lunch today with Ivy. I had a roasted pumpkin in my refrigerator that needed to be used today so I made pumpkin muffins. As Ivy and I were enjoying our lunch, chicken soup of course, I was looking forward to the pumpkin muffin we would be sharing for dessert, and then it hit me: I didn't need a pumpkin muffin (or the apple cider I was going to drink with it). God provided my husband with the means so that I could buy the chicken, vegetables, rice, and herbs for my soup which we need for nutrition to get better, but the pumpkin muffin (and the cider) were a complete bonus. No place in the Bible are we promised these little bonuses and yet God blesses my family with them every day. Coffee is a little bonus, so is the almond milk I put in it. Salt and pepper are bonuses; internet is a bonus, as is electricity and running water. The fact I have a car to do errands in is a bonus. There are so many things in my home that are bonuses that I can scarcely believe it when I try and determine what our needs truly are. God's provision for my family often astounds me, but I am truly humbled by all the extra blessings he chooses to give us as well.

Thank you Lord for always providing for my family's needs, and thank you for providing for some of our wants as well.