Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Finding Quiet Time When You Have Small Children


Tips For Finding Quiet Time When You Have Kids
My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct [my prayer] unto thee, and will look up. Psalm 5:3
I have 2 older girls and a 2 year old BOY.  A 100% up before the sun won’t sit still for anything BOY!  Full of energy and adorable he sometimes really cramps my early morning quiet time though.
While spending time at the feet of Jesus is incredibly important, quiet time sometimes can’t happen in a house full of young children.  But just because “quiet” time is an impossibility it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make an effort to draw close to God.  Drawing close to God will just look different depending on the season of life we’re in.
1) Keep calm and don’t resent your kids.
I used to wake up angry when my kids wouldn’t “let me have my prayer and Bible time.”  My angry spirit completely ruined my day, and my pharasitical attitude was affecting everyone in the house.
Our children’s hearts are far more important that “reading the Bible” every day at 6:00 am.
It’s so incredibly easy to blame your children for not being able to spend time “alone with God” but don’t.  Kids are loud, they’re energetic, and sometimes they wake up early.  A midst the chaos though they’re also God’s greatest blessings.  Serve your children with love and a heart of gratitude, don’t resent them for “getting in your way.” Love them, love them, love them, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.
2) Pray with your children and read them scripture.
Depending on your kids age this may mean a 10 second prayer and bible passage rather than a half hour long marathon.  You’ll both benefit from turning your hearts to the things of God.
3) Listen to Christian music and sermons throughout your day.
There are a few  preachers I love listening to. Several of my absolute favorites have their sermons available on their church websites.  I’ve also taken great care in crafting a Pandora station of Christian music I enjoy.  While preaching and Christian music aren’t substitutes for personal prayer and devotion, they’re huge blessings for moms who can’t always squeeze in personal prayer time.
4) Listen to scripture on MP3 or CD.
There’s something about reading my Bible at the table with a cup of coffee and watching the sun rise as I read the Word, but when the chaos of the day starts too soon, listening to scripture is another way to hide the Word in my heart.
5) And finally seek God’s wisdom in the matter.
There is no passage of scripture that says, “Thou shalt arise at 4:30 every morning and read the Bible and pray.”  God will give you wisdom if you ask.  Maybe your personal quiet time needs to take place in the evening or afternoon, whatever the case God promises us wisdom if we ask in faith.
It’s not about a rigid schedule.
It’s not about reading the Bible through in a year.
It’s not about keeping a detailed prayer journal and writing pages upon pages every day.
It’s about turning our eyes upon Jesus.
It’s about seeking to serve those around us in love.
It’s about inviting Him to be a part of our daily lives, and worshiping Him in everything we do.
Now it’s your turn.  What tips do you have to offer about finding quiet, or not so quiet time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!