Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Avoiding the Summer Slide With This One Simple Tip

Summer is here! Summer is here!! I'm from Michigan, so this is really exciting.  Especially since we had snow into May.  Seriously, not cool.

Last summer I intentionally didn't stop homeschooling when summer hit.  I figured with a baby due in September if I didn't homeschool last summer I'd be homeschooling this summer just to keep on track.

I'm not going to lie it was a very, looooonnng year.  But now summer is here, I *might* take a break, the family hasn't decided just yet.  Year long homeschooling has it's benefits but mama needs a vacation sometimes.

Which brings my thoughts to the dreaded "summer slide."  It goes with the territory of a summer vacation.  Kids take off three months of school, they pretty much forget three months of school.

So, how do you avoid it?

While this isn't a fool proof trick, there is a secret that I guarantee will help your kids.  Here it is:

Make them read for a half hour to an hour every day. And make sure they have plenty of books that they love.  

Go to the library have them pick out fiction and nonfiction that interests them and get them reading.  Make a chart, reward them, do what you need to do, just get them reading.

I told you it was a no brainier, but seriously do it.

What are your tricks for avoiding the summer slide?


Post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!