Monday, January 21, 2013

How My Daughter's Stuffed Animal Almost Caught on Fire


Last night a fire almost started in my daughters’ bedroom.  My husband and I were just about to go to sleep when one of the girls made a little noise.  Rather than ignoring it my husband went to check on them.  When he entered the room the smell of burning fabric met his nose.  A Stuffed animal had gotten shoved up against a nightlight and had begun to burn.

Had that stuffed animal caught fire, my eldest’s blankets would have been next.  I’m not sure if smoke would have reached the detector in our hallway first or if her blankets would have ignited completely before it started beeping.  I CAN NOT bear the thought of what could have happened if my husband hadn’t entered their room to just to check on them.

When my husband showed me the burnt fabric on the stuffed unicorn I couldn’t keep from sobbing.  We immediately thanked the Lord for his protection of our precious children.  There are so many different scenarios that could have played out, but God’s hand was over my girls, and over our family.

You need to understand, I'm a "door checker."  I'll check a door three times just to be sure it's locked.  All of our outlets have safety covers on them, and I ALWAYS check for every fire hazard imaginable.  But my checking will never be enough and last night proved it.

God didn’t forsake us and extended His mercy.  He protected us in our time of trouble.  The prayers that have been sent to the Lord on my children’s behalf were answered last night.  Every prayer for protection and wisdom was answered by the Almighty himself as He spared my babies from a terrible tragedy.

As mother’s we have a great privilege to pray for our children.  We have the honor to guide them in the fear and admonition of the Lord.

What's more amazing still is that the Creator of the Universe loves our families enough to answer our prayers.  He loves us enough to protect us, and he loves us enough to have died for us.  What a blessing it is to be called a Child of the King.


Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

On an aside, if you don't have smoke detector's in every bedroom, get them.  They're less than $8 at Walmart.  When it comes to fires seconds matter, smoke travelling to a detector in the bedroom will occur faster than to a detector in a hallway.



Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner