Monday, November 26, 2012

Was Jesus Beautiful?

I know I'm not the only woman who deals with appearance issues.  If I was then there would be absolutely no market for those glossy magazines that "grace" the checkout lines at super markets.

Like most women there are a hundred little things that add up to my present insecurity:

-The little girl in elementary school who would call me fat (even though I certainly wasn't)

-Overhearing a table of boys in eighth grade say there weren't any hot girls in the room

-Having my hair break apart and literally fall out of my head because of a failed straitening treatment

-Not being able to wear any makeup except lipstick because of my cystic acne

-Having an online anonymous commenter harass me about a pregnant picture, calling me a host of names (fat being one of them) and insinuating my husband didn't desire me.

But external beauty doesn't matter.  Although it's not a sin to primp and polish, the beauty of our hearts are far more important.

Think about this: If external beauty was truly important, wouldn't Jesus Christ have been beautiful when he came to earth?  I realize artistic depictions of Christ tend to be of a tall, slender, muscular, wavy haired man, but that isn't how scripture describes him.  In fact according to Isaiah Jesus was probably average height, not muscular, and wasn't handsome at all.

"For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him." Isaiah 53:2

And yet, there will never be another man who did a greater work while on this earth.  Savior of the world, born in a barn, and nothing special to look at.  A preacher who drew thousands with His truth, but didn't have the flashy smile and perfect hair of the tele-evangelists.

No, beauty isn't important, no matter what the magazine covers say.  No matter what the voices of the past or present tell us.  It's not that important, or else the Savior of the world would have been fairest of them all, and yet what he did while on earth was the most beautiful thing in all of humanity.


Are You Encouraged Here?
Sign Up For Free E-mails


Delivered by FeedBurner


Have You Looked At Our Books?
KindleNook, and Print Versions Available

And be sure to check out the new 
Fabulous Christmas Gift page for some great gifts