Thursday, September 27, 2012

Makeup or Not

In order to get my almost 4 year old to take a nap I put on "boring TV in the afternoon, and she watches about 20 minutes of a cooking show until she's "knocked out".  Today I left the TV on and a makeover show was on next.

I found watching the before and after pictures interesting.  Maybe I'm being overly sensitive because I can't wear makeup at the moment but it bothered me about how the hosts made it seem like it took makeup to make someone beautiful.

"Oh look at the difference!"  one would say.

"She looks so much prettier."

"She looks so much younger."

When I looked at the before and after pictures all I saw was someone with, and someone without makeup.  I didn't see someone prettier or dowdier.  Generally women smiled a bit more in the after picture, but other than that the only difference was extra color on the face.

I'm getting horrible cystic acne breakouts.  I took some new profile photos and I put on a little makeup for just a half hour and I've been dealing with cystic acne now for 2 weeks.

Is wearing makeup wrong? No, I'd love it if I could wear makeup right now.  But needing to go sans cosmetics has been teaching me to deal with my "beauty issues".  Most women struggle with self-image to some degree and I am definitely no exception to this rule.

The fact of the matter is, I was created in the image of God.  When I look in the mirror I see the hand of my creator, makeup or not.


Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.
And to see the lovely places where I link click here.