Monday, August 20, 2012

Babies Don't Keep

What if this were my last little one?

Would I hold him a little longer?
Would I sing just one more lullaby before laying him down?


Would I take more time feeding him, instead of rushing to the next task?
Would I worry so much about a clean home and sparkling kitchen?
Would I do the same things I'm doing now or would I do them differently?

Even if the Lord should bless our family with many more children, this little one will never be so little again.
Each day he grows older and learns a little more.
Soon his toddles will turn into runs.
His babbles and few words will turn into sentences of great complexity.
Reading to him in my lap will turn into him reading independently.

With each milestone comes great joy and excitement for our little one.
But with each milestone also comes a reminder.
This little baby will soon be a baby no more.




"Oh, cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
 But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. 
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
 I'm rocking my baby. Babies don't keep."

Ruth Hulbert Hamilton


Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.
And to see the lovely places where I link click here.