Sunday, June 24, 2012

Listening To God

I've been reading Mother's Meditations by Marie Frost for my daily devotions lately. It's a simple little book published in 1972, and a little bit out dated, but I've been enjoying it nonetheless.  I came across a cute little story the other day while I was reading.  It's one I've heard in a few different ways before, but I felt it was appropriate to share today.

A little girl tells her mother that God, told her He wanted her to be a nurse when she grew up.  When the mother asks her girl how she knew, the little girl told her mom that she simply asked God and listened.  The mom then turned to her son who was nearby and said:

"Did you ever talk to God about what you should be when you grow up, George?"

"Oh of course not," George retorted.  And then more soberly, "Sides if I did, I just know He'd say, 'Be a preacher.'"

How often do we not ask God questions because we're afraid of the answers he may give us.


But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
James 1:22-25

Would you mind praying for my husband?  He is going in for his ministerial examination Monday morning, where hopefully he will be approved for ordination.

  
Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.
And to see the lovely places where I link click

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ivy:-) Love your blog...your posts are cute, inspiring and raw...love that! Just wanted to say hi:)

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!