Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Money Secrets from The Amish

I was fortunate enough to receive a free copy of Money Secrets of the Amish from Booksneeze.com. I can't begin to count the number of financial advice books that I've read, and I think this one is by far my favorite.  It's common sense Christian advice but told with plenty of narrative that makes (in the word's of Dave Ramsey) a "free spirit" like me unable to put it down.  I literally finished the book in one weekend.  It would have been faster but I am a mother of small children : )
The book shares the stories of many Amish families and how they are able to thrive financially despite the down economy and having lots and lots of children.  One family in particular had 14 children and yet was able to save $200,000 in order to purchase a family farm.

This book is a must read, whether you have your finances in order or not (especially if you don't).  Even though my husband and I already live by the principles outlined in the book there are plenty of frugal tips and thrift tricks sprinkled throughout, not to mention it's incredibly motivating to see how modestly people can live and still find contentment. 

Definitely 4 Stars!  Buy this for anyone just starting out, graduates, newly weds, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve enjoyed all of Lorilee’s books, but I especially loved this one. The author wraps some great nuggets of wisdom in a fun-to-read book. I think it’s got some common sense tips, in a format that’s accessible to someone who wouldn’t typically pick up a book on finances. The author’s own “money makeover,” documented with humor, made me believe I could take the same simple steps to save money and live better.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!