Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Naturally Sugar Free Butter Cake

I'm not a huge fan of artificial sweeteners, but lately I've been trying to cut down on the amount of refined sugar my family consumes.  This recipe is great because it uses the natural sweetness of fruit juice to sweeten the cake and nothing else.  Little ones love it and their none the wiser.  I believe I originally got the recipe from http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/ of course I tweaked it so it would be gluten free, but feel free to use your old fashioned white flour if you don't have any wheat limitations.

* 1/2 cup butter melted
*12 oz frozen juice concentrate (any apple is by far my favorite)
*2 eggs
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 2 cups flour (gluten free flour mix or 1 cup rice : 2/3 soy : 1/3 cornstarch)
* 1 packet unflavored gelatin (omit if using traditional flour)
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 tsp baking soda

Melt the butter and allow it to cool slightly.  I'm never very patient and don't let it wait more than a few minutes, this doesn't seem to affect the recipe. Combine the butter and fruit juice concentrate in a large bowl.  Beat in eggs until smooth and add extract (I also add in a tsp of cinnamon if making an apple cake).  Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth and fluffy.  Do not over beat or the cake will become stiff.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, spring test for doneness.

I've also made cupcakes with this recipe to good success.  Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!