Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thankful For Freshly Baked Bread

Nothing smells or tastes better than freshly baked bread, but let's face it Gluten Free bread mixes are quite expensive.  They range anywhere between 5 and 8 dollars just for one loaf.  The following recipe is gluten free and works out to be less than $1 a loaf, that's right less than a $1.  I realize you can make bread for less than $.25 a loaf if you use traditional flour, but less than a $1 is doing really well for gluten free. Not only that but this recipe is designed for the bread maker, making it even easier!  It's the recipe I've been using since I've gotten married and it turns out quite well every time.

Dry Ingredients
2 Cups Brown or White Rice Flour*
1 Cup Soy Flour
1/3 Cup Corn starch
1 packet of unflavored Gelatin (or 1 tbs xanthan gum or guar gum)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs of Sugar, Honey or Molasses (If using Honey or Molasses combine with wet ingredients)


Wet Ingredients
4 egg Whites
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Cider Vinegar
1 1/4 Cups Warm Water

1 tbs Yeast

Combine the dry and wet ingredients separately, mix well in respective bowls.  Add wet to dry, barely combining.  Add yeast to bread maker, cook on Quick Cycle,  enjoy bread in 3 hours.

The cheapest flour combination is the one I have listed above because I grind my own rice flour in a coffee mill.  I run the rice 2 times through.  It's a little too course to use on it's own in a recipe but it works beautifully when combined with soy flour and cornstarch at the ratios listed in the recipe.  I've also found a 2:1:1/3 combination works very well as a cup for cup replacement in most recipes.  (Make sure to add unflavored gelatin) Investing in a $20 coffee grinder just for my rice has saved us a lot of money in the long run.

If you are allergic to soy flour, it can be replaced with one cup of buckwheat flour, or 1/2 a cup potato starch and 1/2 a cup of tapioca starch.  Both of these alternatives would make the recipe slightly more expensive.

Linking up Today! Find more great recipes here:
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tuesdays at the Table
We are That Family
Raising Homemakers
Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

1 comment:

  1. I just wrote down what I need to make this bread.
    It sounds easy and good. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!