Saturday, September 25, 2010

Stuffitis


"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."
Hebrews 11:13


Contentment for me is not an easy thing. As I was dusting my piano today I was reminded how blest I truly was to own such a fantastic instrument. Before Craig and I got married we assumed I'd be teaching voice and piano from our home so it was very important to have a suitable instrument. We spent more than the average couple in our situation would, for that reason. And I say we, but it truly was a gift from Craig to me. It is the nicest most expensive thing, with the exception of our home, I have ever owned. It was the only new piece of furniture that was brought into our marriage with the exception of our mattress. I love it and I can't wait to teach our children how to play on it.

That being said, there are times when I still wish I had more stuff, even though I have many fantastic things I still wish I had more: a nicer dining room table with bench seating, a nicer wedding ring set/more jewelry in general, a more modern television, a new set of furniture, nice new clothes; unfortunately my list could go on for quite awhile. Perhaps our tendency towards stuffitis is because God made us to dwell in perfection, ie Eden. He created a perfect paradise where all our desires would be met. Unfortunately we're no longer in Eden, far from it actually.

The good news however is Christ has promised us perfection in the long run if we are His children, the desires of our hearts will be met in heaven. I have a feeling though the desire for more karats in my jewelry collection will be gone. In the mean time we must be content where God has placed us, because that is where He desires us and it should be our number one's heart's desire to serve and please him.

Lord help us be content in the wonderful blessings you give us.  Let us rest in the promise that you supply all our needs according to your riches in glory.