Tuesday, April 26, 2016

When We Become Weary In Well Doing

Have you noticed the Christian buzz words about motherhood lately? You don’t need to travel very far on the internet to find words like:

Desperate, hopeless, weak, weary, inadequate, empty and guilt-ridden.

Oh how these words resonate in my heart. I am all of these things and yet I am none of these things. 
I am weak and weary, yet his strength is perfected despite my failings.
In the moments when I forget who my Powerful Lord is I become desperate and hopeless.  And yet the same Jesus who created the stars knows my name, and soothes my troubled heart.
At times I am guilty of sin in my parenting and yet God’s grace covers my imperfections and makes me whole.  And somehow when I seek to abide in Him, he allows me to see the fruit of my parenting.
C.S. Lewis wrote:
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”

The desperation, anxiety, weariness, and unfulfilled longings are all there because we weren’t made for this world.
When we parent only for the now we will always be too weak, too weary, and desperate.  The present contains only hopelessness.  Parenting however isn’t about the present.  Being a mother to my children is about eternity.  It’s about raising my children to KNOW and LOVE the Lord.
The grace of God turns our weakness to strength, desperation to calm, and emptiness to overflowing.  Our hopelessness is turned to the greatest hope that ever was: We will one day walk with the Lord in absolute perfection.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!