Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Worthwhile Christmas Traditions

Three young children hand their Christmas stockings while Mom and baby watch.
Last year I wrote a post about what Christmas isn't about.  And despite the fact that every sitcom on television teaches the contrary, Christmas simply isn't about family.  It's nice to celebrate with family, it's nice to be with family, but Christmas isn't about family.

Don't get me wrong I love family Christmas traditions, but who do they point to?  Every night since Thanksgiving we've lit candles in our home and told our children about the true Christmas Story (you know the one with baby Jesus) and we sing a hymn with them in the evening.  The girls LOVE it.

I didn't start this tradition merely for a family memory though, I started it to etch the love of Jesus in their hearts.  We light candles and sing to celebrate the Savior, not to make the season more "magical."

I see elf on a shelf pictures on Facebook or Pintrest, and there is a part of me that thinks how fun that tradition would be.  But my husband and I just don't feel comfortable with the whole Santa Claus game.  And while I'm sure my kids would have fun with an elf on a shelf, it just doesn't direct them towards Jesus.

Christmas traditions that are worthwhile point to the amazing miracle, that God became man so that we may know Him and be forgiven.  Yes I know that my kids will get excited about presents, but they'll know that Jesus is real, and He really loves them.  They'll know that God sent Jesus to earth as a tiny baby so that they could be forgiven and serve Him.

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." 
John 1:14

My husband and I will be starting free Kindle edition promotions for some of our titles.  
Check our store to see what titles are currently free.
Or Better Yet become a Facebook fan to get updates.


If You're Blessed Here Sign Up
For Free E-mails


Delivered by FeedBurner