Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Humilty in Motherhood

"I heard a sermon on humility last night but it didn't apply to me." (My facebook status yesterday)

Oh humility, how I desire you, how I unknowingly avoid you.  The fact of the matter is humility is a huge part of motherhood.  It's humbling to clean up vomit, pee, and poop. (human or animal : P ) It's humbling to put other's needs in front of your own, it's humbling to allow your husband to provide for the family, it's humbling to clean, cook, and try to serve others the best you can while putting aside some of your wants (and sometimes needs) temporarily.

There are moments when I feel like I'm doing too much and I shouldn't be the one stuck with all this work!But humility isn't about how I feel, it's about how I serve others and in doing so serve God. Humility says "God I can't do this on my own, give me a servant's heart so that I can do what is difficult."

Humility isn't necessarily just about gracefully accepting accolades, humility accepts the fact that without God we can do nothing. Ultimately though we need to be humble because Christ performed the ultimate act of humility.

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." Philippians 5:2-8

Can you imagine the first time Jesus felt fatigue?  Here is the one who created the very universe with His words, getting winded running around with His siblings.  How humbling must that have been.  The Lord of Lords who literally forms each of us in our mother's wombs had to stop his work at sundown, because his body needed rest like every other person on this planet. Jesus got tired if he walked too far, he needed to care for his body just as we need to care for ours.  I could not imagine having to step out of a perfect heavenly form into man's flesh to suffer as every man does and eventually have that flesh completely destroyed in a way no other man ever has.

Nothing we do as mother's no matter how "degrading" can ever compare to this great sacrifice and show of humility our Savior was willing to perform.  Christ was willing to do so much more for me, I need to be willing to do so much more for others.  We must decrease so that Christ's spirit of humility may increase in us.  We must be willing to say, "I'll go where you want me to go, I'll do what you want me to do," out of humbleness and reverence to the one to whom we owe all.

If you enjoyed this post may I humbly ask you to subscribe or share with your friends on facebook?




1 comment:

  1. Humility says "God I can't do this on my own, give me a servant's heart so that I can do what is difficult."

    I loved this and it rings true in my heart as well. Lately, I have been allowing my thoughts to go down the path of, "I shouldn't have to do so much." or "This is so above my pay grade." or "Why am I the only one who can fold and put away clothes?" Ohhhh, the lessons we get in humility and sacrifice as mothers.

    Thanks for the reminder of the ultimate sacrifice - Jesus Christ. I need His strength, even as I seek to serve the very ones I love the most.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!