Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Molech and Abortion

This is the final post in this series, I feel God has finally given me freedom to write about other things, but he wanted this said first.




In studying ancient cultural traditions, one has always baffled me: human sacrifice, specifically that of children.  Why in the world would someone kill their own child?  The only logical answer is that they truly believed with all their hearts that their life would be better for it.  They believed that they would have a blessed life rather than a cursed one, their crops would do well, and they would prosper financially.  They were told by countless others around them and the priests of the day that it was what needed to be done.

Being so far removed from history sometimes makes it difficult to picture what was actually happening and our minds have become good at ignoring the horror of it all.  But these were real mothers, real fathers, and real babies; little precious children being killed all in the name of having a better life just to appease a fasle god(s).  These people bought the lie that was being told to them.  If they didn't believe, then they wouldn't have sacrificed.  Parental love (especially maternal) is one of the fiercest loves on this planet.  Even a heathan mother loved her children just as you and I do, there is no way child sacrifice would have ever existed in history had it not been that the cultures that it existed in were truly convinced that killing their children would help them in some way.

Looking back, it's easy to see the lies the evil one whispered to these people.  It's easy to see how heinous these actions were; the truly tragic thing is however the same lies are being spoken today, and the price is over 3300 children every day, over 1,200,000, being killed in the U.S. alone.

I understand that when faced with an unexpected pregnancy there are many reasons a woman might choose to get an abortion, but doesn't it just boil down to the same lie?  The Alan Guttmacher Institute reports the following reasons that women get abortions:

"On average, women give at least 3 reasons for choosing abortion: 3/4 say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or other responsibilities; about 3/4 say they cannot afford a child; and 1/2 say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner "

The unspoken words here are simply "My life will be better without this child."  Just like the ancients who truly believed if they didn't give their infants in sacrifice they would be living a cursed life, millions upon millions of women are believing the same lie.  Not once in the Bible does God give a child to a family as a curse, rather they are given as blessings (even to single mothers, Mary comes to mind).

The Bible  has very strong words on Child Sacrifice
 2Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.
 3And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.


I truly believe what is happening to so many innocent young lives today, killed before they even have a chance at life is just as reprehensible as those children sacrificed throughout history to false gods. Praise God however, he can redeem any person and forgive any sin.  I'm reminded of the story of Manasseh a truly wicked man if ever there was one, he sacrificed his children amoung other things and yet, Manasseh was still able to find forgiveness. 

Another one of my favorite blogs also shares a story of hope after abortion.

God's grace is greater than anything we can ever imagine, nothing we have done or ever will do is too horrible that it cannot be forgiven. If you need to find Christ's forgiveness for a past abortion,  he already paid the price.  He bore your punishment so that you could find sweet freedom.  All it takes is belief that he died and confession

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9

If you can't find the right words on your own, use the following prayer as a guide.  We all need Christ's salvation, regardless of whether or not you've had an abortion, everyone on this planet has sinned.  We all need Christ.  It truly is, this simple to find him.

Lord, forgive me. I believe that Jesus died on the cross and was risen again so that I can be saved.  I ask you to bring him into my life as my Lord and Savior and help me serve you for the rest of my life. Jesus wash away all my sins, and make me clean, give me your freedom.  Thank you for saving me. Amen.