Wednesday, February 2, 2011

(Pub KJV) The Most Important Thing In Our Home


I've been recovering from a bad infection and needless to say my energy has tanked.  I haven't exercised in almost 3 weeks, and I can hardly get up from the couch to do dishes or make dinner.  Things are looking better, but now I'm getting greatly discouraged at the state of my not so clean house. 

Having a clean house however is not the most important thing about this home.  Fixing the bit of carpet my cat scratched up isn't either.  Cleaning the raspberry stain in my living room isn't even number one on my priority list.  Nor is shoveling my walk, doing the laundry, taking out the trash, or even paying the bills.

The most important thing in this home is Christ.  Taking a moment with my toddler and teaching her John 3:16, the twenty-third Psalm or the Lord's prayer is a far more important thing than dishes.  Explaining to my children how God created everything in 6 literal days and how everything was once perfect greatly exceeds the need to clean up the kitty litter.  Teaching my children, even though they might not understand it now, that Jesus loves them more than anyone and wants to live in their hearts is thousands of times more important than any cleaning that needs to be done.  Taking a moment at the beginning and end of the day to pray with my husband while the children are in bed is a bigger blessing to my marriage than a 4 course dinner.

Do not misunderstand me.  Keeping my home in order and running smoothly are very important things.  They just pale in comparison to the need to keep Christ the number one priority.  My great-grandchildren will probably never know about my house-keeping habits, but I pray they will know my effort to be faithful to Christ.  I can't take a shiny kitchen sink to heaven with me, but my children will be able to come providing they've made a decision to follow Christ.  That decision starts with every small thing they are taught by my husband and I. 

I suppose I can stand to look at a sink of dirty dishes while I'm still recovering, knowing that we haven't forgotten the most important thing.



Will you learn along with me? Let's encourage one another.
I'd love for you to sign up for e-mail updates or follow me on Facebook.


Photobucket