Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Today's Post is brought to you By the Onomonopia "Bonk!"

My daughter Ivy has taken to saying the work "Bonk!" over and over again.  Any time she jumps up and lands on the ground she yells, "Bonk!" Anytime she throws a stuffed animal somewhere or hits two animals together she yells, "Bonk!"  Suddenly every single one of her sentences ends in the word "Bonk!" It's become a very fun game for her.  As an aside, it's very cute and funny to watch as well.

This literally started over the weekend, yesterday my husband and I remained mystified as to where "Bonk!" came from.  It wasn't a word either one of us used, we didn't think she heard it from television.  Where in the world did "Bonk" come from?

Apparently me.  Last night we were all playing  together in the master bedroom and Ivy bumped her head on the wall and I said, "Oh sweetheart you bonked your head."  With that statement I realized a similar incident had happened a few days ago except she was very upset at the time, in order to cheer her up I made up a little song with the word "Bonk!" in it.  Apparently it stuck.

"Bonk!" is not a word I use in my every day speech, in fact I think the only context I use it in is when someone bumps their head on something.  Even though I don't use the word often my daughter learned it.

Yesterday on the radio I heard a fantastic broadcast on John 15, when Christ is talking about the fruit that we should be bearing.  The statement the Pastor said on the radio that stuck with me is "Fruit has within it seeds, that have the ability to bear more fruit in the lives of others."

The statement bonked my head like a ton of bricks. If I'm bearing good fruit it will one day be exemplified in the lives of my children.  They will hopefully learn to be kind, patient, and loving from my example.  But just like Ivy picking up the word "Bonk!" so easily, if my life is bearing rotten and disgusting fruit, like worry, anger, resentment, or fear those seeds will plant themselves in the hearts of those around me, particularly my children and husband.

Once again God continues to convict my heart of the true need of abiding in him.  I can't do this motherhood/ good wife thing on my own, and I'm so glad I don't have to.

1 comment:

  1. Kasey,
    I love this post. As a mother of a 16 year old I can relate. I pray daily for my son concerning things he hears not only from my husband and I but also his friends.

    You are right, sometimes we do not how much power our words, and actions have. The fruit that we produce good or bad it is out there.

    By the way, I have been sick so I have not had a chance to link your site on my blog.

    Thanks
    Tracy
    http://tracyscoffeecafe.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/stretching-pains-and-growing-dreams-part-2/

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind when commenting, I don't mind differing views but all mean spirited and hateful comments get the ax!